Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) in the Workplace – What Does it Mean and Why is it Important? - Tuesday, November 10th, 2020
Date: Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 from 9am-11am (2 hours)
This workshop will introduce the participant to the concepts of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). We will examine the importance and contributions that marginalized groups make to the workforce and how today’s employers can embrace equity, diversity and inclusion for the betterment of their organizations.
Now more than ever, every employer should ensure that all employees AND management are effectively trained in what EDI means and the value that diversity and inclusion add to the workplace.
Why should I attend this course?
One of the great prides of Canada is it’s inclusive and welcoming collective nature. Inevitably within a multi-cultural, multi-faith society, we encounter people of differing appearance, physical and mental ability, faith, cultural background and experience, amongst other things. This well thought out course is designed for anyone who lives or works in a multi-cultural society and wants to understand the issues facing our society and who endevour to be embracing of all those they live and work amongst.
- an explanation of the definitions of the various terms associated with EDI
- unconscious bias: what it is and how does it affect the workplace
- an introduction to accommodation – what does it mean in relation to the workplace
- a look at some relevant workplace diversity statistics
- examining how we can create inclusive mindsets and behaviours
- examining how we can create an organizational culture that values, embraces and celebrates individual differences
- case study examples of accommodation and accessibility from the Canadian workplace
- how to have a civil conversation with a person with differing views than our own